LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) – A push for safety at a Las Vegas Valley high school after a tragedy in May is yielding results, but advocates tell FOX5 there is more work to be done.
McKenzie Scott, an Arbor View High School senior, was hit and killed by an alleged drunk driver in May when she was only days away from graduating. Since then, parents have been looking for ways to keep students safer while walking to and from school.
Work on one major change has already begun. FOX5 watched construction crews begin work on a new pedestrian activated flasher that’ll cross Buffalo Drive, the crosswalk where Scott was hit and killed.
Other changes announced by the City of Las Vegas include new signage, and repainting crosswalks in the same area.
It’s a sigh of relief for Arbor View High School parent, and member of Walk Safely LV, Bethany Limov.
Walk Safely LV is a parent-led group, born from May’s tragedy. FOX5 has reported on the group volunteering as crossing guards in May.
Limov said Walk Safely LV, city leaders, and representatives from Arbor View were outside the school Thursday morning discussing the changes, and their next steps.
She said they discussed what it would take to have a permanent crossing guard on Buffalo Drive.
“That is something in the works,” she said. “Until then, we will be out here volunteering every morning and afternoon to keep these kids safe.”
Copyright 2025 KVVU. All rights reserved.




