LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) – A day in a Las Vegas courtroom turned violent by the same man who was getting ready to be sentenced for attempted battery with substantial bodily harm.
It seems Deobra Redden did not like what Judge Mary Kay Holthus had to say as she was about to sentence him after Redden’s defense asked for probation. This is when the video shows Redden going after the judge.
However, documents show Redden was no stranger to the criminal justice system.
- Documents obtained by FOX5 show in 2012 Redden was charged with battery with a deadly weapon.
- In 2016 he faced a domestic battery charge which was dismissed.
- In 2018 Redden again faced domestic battery.
- In 2021 Redden was slapped with 8 charges of battery ranging from Battery which constitutes domestic violence, third offense and battery by prisoner, probationer, or parolee.
- A few months later, Redden faced a charge of malicious destruction of property.
While reading into this charge FOX5 discovered Redden stood before Judge Holthus in a February 2023 sentencing where he was granted probation.
However, documents show Redden’s probation was revoked months later.
On Wednesday Holthus was about to sentence Redden for his latest charge his attack on the judge was caught on camera.
Redden was taken away and was supposed to be in court Thursday morning but did not show up.
“The world has seen what happened yesterday, and this person’s behavior in court and I’ve almost never seen anything else like this,” district attorney Steven Wolfson said.
FOX5′s Victoria Saha asked high-profile criminal defense attorney Joshua Tomsheck about Redden’s past.
“So I don’t think that’s at all unusual that someone with a criminal history could be given a chance of community supervision or probation one of the thrusts of the criminal justice system is finding the right course of action,” Tomsheck said.
Saha asked Tomsheck how he would defend someone given the circumstances.
“I get that question in a lot of cases, his case is unusual and I’m talking about yesterday everything is on video there is not really a defense to what occurred, we know what happened the question is why.”
Copyright 2024 KVVU. All rights reserved.